Trying to get out of the office on a Friday night to join some friends, but you're stuck on a business call? Did you know that you can very easily transfer the call to your cell phone and take your business with you? This is much easier, and more polite, than hanging up and calling them back. Simply add your cell phone number into the OnSIP admin portal as an external phone number resource and assign it an extension number. Once this is done, you just complete a blind transfer to your cell phone extension and you'll have the freedom to take the call on the road. Here’s how it’s done.
External Phone Numbers allow you to attach an extension to an outbound phone number. For example, you can take the 800 directory service number (1-800-555-1212) and attach it to an internal extension of 411 as shown in the example below.
You can also create an external phone number and use it as a failover for menus, users and groups. For example, you can set your mobile phone number as an external address, and if someone calls your extension and there is no answer, the call can then be sent to your mobile phone.
Please be aware that standard PSTN calling rates still apply.
Creating an External Phone Number
- Navigate to the 'Resources' page in the admin portal and click 'Create New Resource'
- From the list of resources choose 'External Phone Number' > 'Create a new External Phone Number'
- Enter the telephone number to route to starting with 1, then area code, and number
- Choose the billing method for this external phone number. This choice comes down to the question, do you want to be billed for calls to this external phone number, or do you want the caller to be billed? The answer to this question determines whether or not you want to bill the authenticated caller, or bill a user in your account.
Choose a user if:
- The number is related to calls for a specific user and you want charges to show up under this user's CDR reports
- Another destination (like a group or an ACD queue) will fail over to this external number
Choose authenticated caller if:
- Only people calling from a device that can authenticate with OnSIP, e.g. callers in your organization calling from their SIP phones, will be routed to the external number
- You would like the caller to be billed for calls going out to the external phone number
Anyone calling from outside the OnSIP network will be routed to this number, this includes callers from the PSTN
Please note: If the authenticated caller is chosen as the billing user and the caller can not authenticate with Junction Networks, then the call will be hung up.
Transfer to Cellphone
- Now navigate to the 'Users' page in the admin portal and click your username.
- Click 'Modify' under 'Inbound Call Preferences'
- Select the number you just entered from the drop down box and save your changes.
This will forward all incoming calls to the external number of your choosing.
Topics: Business Technology